Before we started our van build we had zero experience with building vans, and guess what the water system was exactly the same. For this reason we started by researching all the ways we could install our fresh water pipes; there are so many options.
We opted for John Guest 12mm push fit as it is widely used in caravans and motorhomes the world over. This has a smaller form factor than 15mm push fit, but that does seem to come at a cost. So make sure you shop around for your fittings if you opt for this route.
Once we knew the system, we designed the layout. Our Mercedes Vario will have;
- an indoor shower with hot/cold mixer
- an outdoor shower with hot/cold mixer from Bullfinch
- A kitchen tap with shower head
We wanted to keep the layout at simple as possible with joints all accessible in case of leaks and repairs. We therefor ensured the T-Pieces were placed at the back under the bed and where they would be safe under the sofa area.
In other areas we made good use of cold form bends, which ensures the bent pipe keeps its form without the need of using a right angled push fitting.
Our Campervan Plumbing Diagram
Video on Plumbing Our Van Conversion
You can watch us do the following things in this first video:
- Walkthrough our system
- Build a cabinet with storage for our Shurflo pump, accumulator, LPG cut off, Bullfinch Shower and some simple storage
- Run 12mm first fix plumbing for the hot and cold water
- We also test the setup up to the Bullfinch shower for leaks
Pt2. is coming soon
What We Used
We will update this page with more photos, details of what we did and a kit list ASAP.
Help us out…
Found this useful?
- Please leave us a comment below or on our YouTube Channel
- Feeling extra generous? Please buy us a coffee (all funds go back into the build)
Thanks for reading.